3.26.2010

Rick Bayless - Enchiladas Especiales Tecuba Style

Living in Chicago you would think that since Rick Bayless has a restaurant here it would be easy to get into. On the contrary. If you are less than a party of 5 they don't take reservations, and the last time I tried, which was time number 3 the wait was longer than 1 hr. No thanks. I love mexican food but to a busy mom who is getting away on a friday night a mexican restaurant is not that appealing if I have to wait that long to even get seated.

So I bought his cook book (oh btw, I bumped into him in my gym downtown, twice) and I watch the PBS show, "Mexico One Plate at a Time". It's not the same, I know, but it will do.

So the other day I watched an episode on enchiladas, and since I make enchiladas regularly, this one really caught my attention.


I went to his website and wouldn't you know it, it's chock-full of recipes. I searched and found the particular one, called Enchiladas Especiales Tecuba Style and after getting a few essentials, got to it.

I have to say this is one of my favorite enchiladas to date. The spinach and poblanos chiles give it a earthy smokey flavor that I haven't had in the other enchiladas. It's super easy to make the suace is the most work but after you make that the rest is 1.2.3.

The only thing that I will change next time I make this dish is if the poblanos don't have much heat, add some jalepenos along with the poblanos.



I thought about blending this in my Cuisinart, but there is so much sauce that comes out of this that I'm glad I stayed with the blender, plus it was easier to pour from.



You mix a portion of the sauce with your chicken so you have the flavor throughout, not just on top and bottom of the enchiladas.


These enchiladas, paired with some sour cream and beer with lime were a divine dinner, and I had plenty of leftovers that we had put in the freezer for the following week.

Definitely a recipe that I will come back to time and again. Click here for link





2 comments:

  1. I have such a crush on Rick Bayless, so I'll have to give these a try! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hes pretty dapper for a guy thats 56. He's in the mens issue of chicago social in a suit, looks pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails